Skip to Content


Declaring the Minor & LSA Requirements

Q. Can I declare the minor in Museum Studies before declaring a concentration?
A. You must declare a concentration before you can declare a minor in any department.

Q.Can I use the Museum Studies electives courses toward my LSA distribution requirements?
A. Yes. Museum Studies electives can be counted toward LSA's distribution requirements. See your academic advisor for additional details.

Q. Can I use the Museum Studies electives courses toward my concentration requirements?
A. Yes, but only one class may be counted for both your concentration and the Museum Studies minor.

Q. Can I declare the Museum Studies minor before taking any museum classes?
A. You must successfully complete MUSEUMS 301 before you can declare the minor. When you're ready to declare the minor, contact us at to schedule an advising appointment.

Q. How do I officially declare the Museum Studies minor?
A. Just schedule a 15-30 minute advising session with one of the museum studies faculty advisors by emailing

Internship Requirement

Q. I completed an internship in the past. Can I count it as my required internship?
A. No. Students can elect an internship for credit only after they have successfully completed MUSEUMS 301.

Q. Can I complete an internship off-campus?
A. Yes. We encourage students to seek their own internship experiences, either on campus or off. Please schedule a planning meeting with the Museum Studies minor Associate Director (Bradley Taylor, before beginning your search.

Q. Can I complete more than one internship for credit?
A. Yes. You may complete a second internship for credit. If you'd like, it can take the place of one of the three required elective courses.

Electives Requirement

Q. Can I get a course approved as an elective if it doesn't appear on your list?
A. You can petition for the course to be approved. Students who have declared the minor can find the Elective Petition Form on the Museum Studies minor CTools site.

Careers in Museums

Q. Where can I find more information on careers in museums and museum internships outside Ann Arbor?
A. The staff at the Career Center (3200 Student Activities Building) knows about our minor and is prepared to help you with your search.

More Questions?
Contact us at We'll be happy to schedule an appointment to meet with you.