- German Studies
- Scandinavian Studies
- Dutch & Flemish Studies
- Yiddish Studies
- Awards, Scholarships, Prizes
- German Advising
- Internships & Study Abroad
- Max Kade German Residence
- Placement Exams
- Waitlist Policy
- Careers in Germanic Studies
- German Faculty to Lunch Program
Winter 2017 Opening - application deadline 12/7/16
The Max Kade House has one opening for the Winter 2017 term: a female single with a shared corridor bath. The application deadline is Wednesday, December 7, 2016. Please contact Annie Varner, firstname.lastname@example.org, with questions.
Note: Current first-year students are not eligible to live in the Max Kade House.
Application for Winter 2017 (link opens in new window)
AY 2017-18 - application deadline 1/6/17
Applications for the 2017-18 academic year are due on Friday, January 6, 2017, at noon. Every interested student will have to complete an applicaiton and an essay, whether they were in the house previously or not. Notificaiton will be sent to students with the department's decision of whether to admit them to the Max Kade House on Monday, January 9, 2017, at noon.
- NEW student application AY 2017-18 (link opens in a new window)
- RETURNING student application AY 2017-18 (link opens in a new window)
You will receive instructions on how to acces your online Housing application when the enrollment deposit has been paid or has been officially waived by the Admissions Office. If you are interested in being a Max Kade resident, please contact Vicki Dischler, email@example.com, or Annie Varner, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
Requirements of Max Kade Residents
- Sophomore, junior, or senior academic standing by the beginning of the term for year for which you are applying
- Complete the equivalent of German 102/103 upon entry into the Max Kade House
- Enrollment in one-credit mini courses offered in the Fall and Winter terms (German 310 and German 312)
- Active participation in at least three Max Kade House activities each month (Kaffeestunde, Deutschtisch, Filmabend, etc.)
Students interested in the Max Kade House are welcome to come to a Kaffeestunde or Deutschtisch:
Kaffeestunde is weekly on Wednesday from 9-10pm in the East Loft on the 3rd floor of North Quad. This is located in the residential portion of North Quad, which is only open to residents. You can knock on the door of the residential area and tell a residence staff member that you are there for the Max Kade House event, and they will direct you.
Deutschtisch is weekly on Sunday from 6-7pm in the North Quad dining hall. You will need a meal plan or Entrée Plus to enter, or you can purchase a meal at the door. The group has yellow signs with "Max Kade Deutschtisch" to identify where they are sitting.