To apply to our program you will need to submit your application to the Rackham Graduate School. For your convenience, the Rackham Application Checklist will assist you in completing the steps in the application process. In addition to following the steps identified in the Checklist, follow the instructions that appear throughout the application. Please note that there are differences in requirements for domestic and international applicants. Following the instructions will allow the processing of your application to be handled with minimal delays.
The checklist may be found on this page: www.rackham.umich.edu/admissions/prospective_students_degree/applying/
Timing of the Decision
The Graduate Faculty of Germanic Languages & Literatures (GLL) will review applications and make decisions on admission promptly after the admission deadline and you will be informed about the outcome of your application by email.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 734.936.0150.
Application materials are due January 10.
Applicants are expected to meet two sets of requirements for admission: those of the Department of Germanic Languages & Literatures (GLL) and of the Rackham Graduate School.
Rackham's Requirements: View them here
- All applicants must have a U.S. bachelor's degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. Applicants are required to provide an official score report from either the Michigan English Language Battery (MELAB), the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS), or the Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English (ECPE). Applicants who have earned a degree from an institution where the language of instruction is English, (e.g. U.S., United Kingdom, Canada) are exempt from submitting a MELAB or TOEFL score.
Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures (GLL) Requirements:
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. We recommend applicants take the GRE Revised Test.
- Statement of Purpose
- Personal Statement
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- 2 samples of academic writing that are representative of your current or recent research. Writing samples may be written in either German or English, though at least one should be in English and students are encouraged to submit writing that best demonstrates their intellectual capabilities.
- Three letters of recommendation*
* For International students, your letters of recommendation and your transcript(s) may be submitted in either English or German.
The application fee is $75.00 for domestic applicants (U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents) and $90.00 for international applicants (non-U.S. Citizens who are not Permanent Residents).