Skip to Content

Transfer Credit

  1. Majors and Minors
  2. Departments and Units
  3. Degrees and Requirements
    1. Academic Calendars
    2. Academic Integrity
    3. Academic Policies
      1. Academic Load and Normal Degree Progress
      2. Accuracy of Schedule
      3. Auditing Courses
      4. Class Attendance
      5. Class Standing
      6. Closed Course, Waitlist, and Override Information
      7. Credits and Grade Point Average
      8. Credit Limits
        1. Experiential and Directed Reading / Independent Study
        2. Non-Graded Courses (P/F, CR/NC, S/U)
        3. Transfer Credit
        4. 60 Credits in One Department
      9. Dean's Certification Forms
      10. Drop/Add
      11. Dual Enrollment while in High School
      12. Dual Enrollment with Another College or University
      13. Dual Registration
      14. Final Exams
      15. Grade Grievance
      16. Grading Issues
      17. Key to Course Listing Notations
      18. Mini-Courses
      19. Non-Degree Status
      20. Pass/Fail
      21. Readmission
      22. Religious Holidays
      23. Repetition and Out of Sequence
      24. Student Records Policy
      25. SUBJECT Guide
      26. Test Credit (AP, CLEP, IB, A-Level, etc.)
      27. Transcripts and Notations
      28. Transfer Information & Residence Policy
      29. Withdrawal from the College
      30. Wolverine Access
    4. Honors and Awards
    5. Undergraduate Curriculum Support
    6. Selection of Program, Declaration, and Advising
    7. Bachelor in General Studies (B.G.S.)
    8. Bachelor of Arts (A.B.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
    9. Bachelor of Science in Chemistry (B.S.Chem.)
    10. Residence Requirement
    11. Writing Requirements
    12. Race and Ethnicity (R&E) Requirement
    13. Quantitative Reasoning Requirement
    14. Area Distribution Requirement
    15. Language Requirement
    16. Majors
    17. Minors
    18. Joint Degrees
    19. Second Degree
    20. Non-LSA Coursework
    21. Supplemental Studies
  4. Engaged Learning
  5. What Will You Do with an LSA Degree?
  6. Courses
  7. Dates and Deadlines
  • Students who transfer from a two-year college are permitted 60 transfer credits (62 if an Associate's degree requiring 62 credits has been completed). 
  • [Prior to Spring 2014, LSA had the following policy: "Students who have completed 60 credits toward an LSA degree cannot earn degree credit for courses elected at a two-year college. Please note, in order for LSA to accept community college credits toward the 120-credit requirement after the student has already completed 60 credits, the student needs to be enrolled in the community college course as of Spring 2014 or later. LSA will not allow students who took the course prior to Spring 2014 and who had >60 credits at the time they took the community college course, to count toward their 120 credits regardless of when they send their transfer transcript to U-M. Because the Curriculum Committee explicitly decided to make the new policy effective this Spring 2014 and NOT make it retroactive, the Academic Standards Board will not entertain petitions for students who took community college credit prior to Spring 2014 and want it to count toward their 120-credit requirement. As always, community college credit taken prior to Spring 2014 can count toward other LSA general requirements regardless of how many credits the student has completed, including BS and LSA credit, as well as distribution.]
  • Up to 60 credits may be transferred from the Flint and Dearborn campuses of the University of Michigan. Courses completed at these campuses are defined as out-of-residence credit (effective September 1, 1976), even though they carry Michigan Honor Points.
  • Even if a course is transferable, credit is not allowed if the final grade earned is "C-" or lower. This includes all transferable credit earned outside the University of Michigan. (All credits and grades from the University of Michigan-Dearborn and -Flint campuses transfer.)
  • Credit cannot be transferred from another school if that credit is also being counted toward another baccalaureate or graduate or professional degree. "Special Joint Degree Programs" are exceptions to this policy.

Credit from Dual Enrollment Programs while in High School

Students interested in electing out-of-residence credit should consult  the Office of Undergraduate Admissions' website about transfer equivalencies and an academic advisor about the appropriateness of the intended elections. Tables of transfer equivalencies are available on the College website.

Students who wish to take a course not listed on the equivalency tables may have that course evaluated by using a Transfer Credit Equivalency form (formerly the Out-of-Residence form).  This form can be completed online.

If credit elected out-of-residence is to be included in a plan for the major, approval should be obtained in advance from a department advisor.

The language requirement cannot be fulfilled by out-of-residence credit that is elected after the student has begun degree enrollment in LSA unless the appropriate language department has approved that plan in advance.

Seniors planning to elect the final portion of the senior year out of residence should contact the LSA Academic Auditors prior to leaving campus for information about procedures to avoid a delay of graduation.

LSA students who elect courses which duplicate Advanced Placement or transfer credit will receive degree credit and honor points (for graded courses) for the LSA election while credit for the duplicated Advanced Placement or transfer courses will be deducted. The only exceptions to this policy are courses transferred from another school or college on the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan or from UM-Flint or UM-Dearborn. In these cases, courses elected in LSA which duplicate the transfer courses are posted on the academic record as "repetitions" or "not for credit" elections. The original course elections continue to appear on the academic record for degree credit, and grades earned in these courses continue to be computed in the grade point average.

Students electing courses in LSA which are prior to those in a course sequence for credits already awarded via transfer credit will have the transferred credits deducted, and the credits and honor points earned by the LSA elections will stand. This could mean losing credit for several courses while retaining credit for only one (for example, transfer credit for one or more terms of foreign language can be deducted because of subsequently completing the first term of that language at the University of Michigan).

Official transcript(s) of the completed transfer work should be sent to:

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions
University of Michigan
300 Student Activities Building
515 East Jefferson Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316.