U-M Press Celebrates the 20th Anniversary of the Publication of Academic Writing for Graduate Students.
- All News
- Search News
- Archived News
- In Memoriam: Elizabeth M. Soden
- Third Annual U-M 3MT® Competition
- Graduate Writing Clinic Open in Spring + Summer
- Spring 2016 ELI Conversation Circles Registration Now Open!
- Registration Now Open! Fall Course for International Scholars, Researchers, Faculty, Staff, and Post-Docs
- Winter 2017 ELI Conversation Circles Registration Now Open!
- All Events
- Video: John Swales on Genre & English for Academic Purposes
- Video: John Levis on The Importance of Social Factors in L2 Pronunciation Learning
- Third-Annual Three-Minute Thesis Competition
- NEW! Online Pre-Arrival Course for International Graduate Students
- ELI Summer Programs Off and Running!
- Sign Up Now! "Power Up Your English with Great Self-Study Apps + Sites" Workshop
- ELI 75th Anniversary Celebration
- Registration Now Open! Winter Course for International Scholars, Researchers, Faculty, Staff, and Post-Docs
On an event on November 5, 2014, in the Hatcher Library, U-M Press honored the 20th anniversary of the publication of the groundbreaking EAP text Academic Writing for Graduate Students by former ELI director John M. Swales and current ELI lecturer Christine B. Feak. This book, a best-selling U-M Press title now in its third edition, revolutionized the teaching of academic writing and is a mainstay of English for Academic Purposes programs around the world.
Speakers at the event included James Hilton, U-M Dean of Libraries; Ann Johns, San Diego State University; Yu-Shiang Jou, PhD student, U-M School of Education; and the authors.