- All News
- Search News
- Archived News
- In Memoriam: Elizabeth M. Soden
- Third Annual U-M 3MT® Competition
- Graduate Writing Clinic Open in Spring + Summer
- Spring 2016 ELI Conversation Circles Registration Now Open!
- Registration Now Open! Fall Course for International Scholars, Researchers, Faculty, Staff, and Post-Docs
- Winter 2017 ELI Conversation Circles Registration Now Open!
- The Genre Archive
- Community-Engaged Learning at the ELI
- New ELI Faculty Member
- ELI Celebrates International Education Week
- ELI Launches New Online Pre-Arrival Course
- Summer Student Employment Opportunity at ELI
- All Events
- Video: John Swales on Genre & English for Academic Purposes
- Video: John Levis on The Importance of Social Factors in L2 Pronunciation Learning
- Third-Annual Three-Minute Thesis Competition
- NEW! Online Pre-Arrival Course for International Graduate Students
- ELI Summer Programs Off and Running!
- Sign Up Now! "Power Up Your English with Great Self-Study Apps + Sites" Workshop
- ELI 75th Anniversary Celebration
- Registration Now Open! Winter Course for International Scholars, Researchers, Faculty, Staff, and Post-Docs
George Dong, former student at the ELI, has received a Full Research Grant from the Fulbright Program for the 2011-2012 academic year. His research will focus on the access to higher education for the Wa ethnic minority in Lincang (Yunnan Province) in China.
A 2009 U-M graduate with a BA in English and a minor in Asian studies, George was selected to be the student commencement speaker that year (watch a YouTube clip of Dong's address). The ELI published a Student Profile of Dong at that time.
Since graduating, George has been teaching high school English at Urban Prep Academy in Chicago as a member of the Teach For America corps. In the summer of 2010, he worked as a summer associate for the China Education Initiative (CEI) in Lincang. Prior to beginning his Fulbright assignment, George will participate in the Inter-University Program for Chinese Language Studies at Tsinghua University.