The Department of Communication Studies Undergraduate Fellows Program is designed to support and stimulate undergraduate students’ interest in the field of communication studies. The Fellows Program welcomes any qualified incoming juniors or seniors interested in cultivating the newly created Communication Studies Fellows community, and committed to becoming an active member of the department. This year’s accepted applicants, as founding Fellows, will shape what the program looks like for years to come.
Acting as department ambassadors, Fellows will undertake a variety of tasks, all of which promote Communication Studies. Highlights include engagement with distinguished alumni, volunteering for a celebration for newly declared COMM majors, planning an academic symposium, and representing the department to the campus community.
Why should you apply for the Fellows program?
- You are interested in leaving your mark on U-M Communication Studies.
- You want to form a network of peers and professionals that could help you in your future career.
- You are interested in current events and how they impact the campus community.
- You want to develop mentoring relationships with faculty members.
- You want experience with event planning and launching a successful conference.
- Name your own reason! You may have your own objectives that you want to achieve from the Fellows program.
Fellows Program benefits
- Membership in an exclusive community of undergraduates committed to Communication Studies
- Recognition from the department in publications and on the department website
- Competitive advantages for departmental funding opportunities
- Individual meetings with special guests and speakers
- Opportunity to organize an annual academic symposium
- Mentorship from faculty
Fellows Program Requirements
- Fellows must attend event planning meetings throughout the academic year.
- As ambassadors, fellows must volunteer for Communication Studies events.
- Declared juniors or seniors
How to apply
If you are interested in the being a fellow, please complete the online application form no later than 8:00 am on April 14th.
You will be asked to submit a statement of purpose in the online form and your resume (via email).
1. Resume with anticipated graduation date. Please send resume (in PDF format) to: firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: FELLOWS APPLICATION (Last Name, First Name)
2. Statement of Purpose explaining why you are a good candidate for the Undergraduate Fellows Program
Program contact information
For questions or more information, contact:
Dustin Hahn, Program Coordinator
734.647.5996 | email@example.com