As a leading public university, we strive to cultivate a community that works toward our nation’s highest democratic ideals. Toward this goal, the LSA Democracy in Action Fund provides grants ranging from $500 to $2500 to support students, faculty, and staff to do the challenging work of advancing genuine democratic engagement on campus.
What will these grants support?
Individuals and groups may apply for grants ranging from $500 to $2500 to fund proposals that best address one or more of the following:
- Celebrate and promote an inclusive community with an emphasis on civil, productive dialogue between students, faculty and staff of all backgrounds.
- Promote a greater understanding of participatory democracy and our role in it.
- Showcase the power and impact of a liberal arts education to effectively address issues associated with exclusion and marginalization as well as problems associated with various forms of discrimination and inequality.
- Promote a program or large-scale strategy that LSA could undertake to significantly enhance students’ feelings of inclusion, connection, and democratic engagement, including realistic proposals for implementation.
Who can submit proposals*?
- Students. The Fund will accept proposals from students and student organizations for events that are entirely student-focused. However, the strongest proposals will come from collaborations involving students, faculty, and professional staff members.
Proposals from multiple student organizations that seek to promote a cross-fertilization of ideas are particularly welcome, especially those that occur in unexpected and creative ways. Collaborations between student organizations that have not worked together in the past are encouraged.
- Faculty or Staff. Faculty and staff members may initiate and co-lead proposals, but to maintain a student-centric focus, all proposals must include genuine co-leadership from student(s) in the design and implementation phases.
Visit the LSA Democracy in Action Fund Website for detailed information and application.