Office of Financial Aid
Some need based financial aid may be used toward fall and/or winter term global study programs. Eligibility depends upon the student's program and their financial aid package through the University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid. Contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine if your financial aid package may be used to fund your program.
Students participating in spring and/or summer term CGIS programs should note that there is an additional application to submit to the Office of Financial Aid to receive need basis financial aid for these terms. Students should visit the Office of Financial Aid website for more information and deadlines.
- What are global study program costs?
- Is global study affordable?
- Is there financial aid for global study?
- What if I have another question not answered here?
Global study program costs for participating students can vary greatly. They typically include the following:
- Academic and administrative fees
- Personal expenditures and/or souvenirs
Please visit the program's brochure page on M-Compass for more detailed cost estimates.
All programs are priced to be as inexpensive as possible without sacrifice of academic quality or student comfort and safety. Costs vary considerably between programs. For example: not all programs charge U-M tuition.
Most U-M-awarded financial aid (grants, scholarships, loans) may be used to help defray global study program costs. MET (Michigan Educational Trust) may also be used toward tuition on U-M-sponsored programs. Students should contact the Office of Financial Aid to discuss any necessary paperwork.
Students participating in spring or summer term CGIS programs should note the U-M Office of Financial Aid (OFA) does not automatically process an aid package for spring or summer term global study programs. Students seeking financial aid for these terms must contact OFA in January or February to complete any necessary paperwork.
Those participating in non-CGIS sponsored global study programs are not eligible for Michigan aid and instead should contact the administering institution or agency to request support.
For LSA scholarship information, please visit the scholarships page.
- Boren Awards
- Bridging Scholarship Program (for students studying in Japan)
- Chiara Maria Levin Study Abroad Scholarship (Romance Languages and Literatures)
- CIEE Scholarship (for students applying to a CIEE program)
- Gilman Scholarship
- Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship
- Vincenti Scholarship (Romance Languages and Literatures)
- MSU's Grant Library
- StudyAbroadFunding.org (through IIE Passport)
- U.S. Department of Education