Application Timeline for Financial Aid
This broad outline will keep you on track in attaining the funds you need to pay for law school. This timeline begins in the summer a year prior to law school matriculation.
June - August
- Obtain your credit report from http://www.annualcreditreport.com/
- Address any errors or omissions in your report with the credit bureau(s).
- Compile a list of all your current debts and estimate your monthly payments.
- Begin your search for grants and scholarships.
September - December
- Obtain current financial aid budgets for each school to which you will apply.
- Research grant and scholarship opportunities.
- Check law school deadlines for submission of financial aid information.
- Determine whether additional scholarship applications or letters of recommendation will be necessary for any of your chosen law schools.
- Prepare your federal income taxes as soon as you have complete documentation (W-2s, 1099s, etc.).
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov . Complete your law school financial aid applications.
February - April
- Comply quickly with any requests from law schools for additional financial aid information, such as 1040s, W-2s, or institutional information sheets.
- Receive financial aid offers. If you have special concerns or situations, discuss these with the law school financial aid office.
- Examine the net costs and benefits of attending schools where you have been admitted.
- Discuss actual housing costs with law students at individual schools.
- Pay your first law school deposit.
March - July
- Once you have selected your law school, submit your loan application(s) and finalize your housing arrangements.
- Pay your second law school deposit.
From this Point Forward ￢ﾀﾦ
- Make a budget and stick to it!
- Courses & Registration
- Wolverine Access Tutorials
Why the Liberal Arts?
- Academic Calendar
- Knowing the Expectations for Your Degree
- Choosing a Major
- Is law the right profession for me?
- What academic skills do I need to succeed?
- What else should I do to prepare?
- When and where do I apply?
- How Do I Apply
- How do I pay for law school
- Pre-Law Advisors
- Workshops and Pre-Law Events
- Cross-Campus Transfers